Welcome Center Associate – Seasonal, Full-time
Job Title: Welcome Center Associate – Seasonal, Full-Time
Department: Guest Services
Reports To: Guest Services Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
PURPOSE OF JOB: The Welcome Center Associate represents the “public face” and “first impression” of the Conservancy to create a positive visitor experience. This is a seasonal, full-time position of 40 hours per week from November 2019 to April 2020.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assists in daily operations of the front information desk and retail point-of-sale, and provides support to the Guest Services Supervisor.
• Coordinates work tasks with all Welcome Center staff and volunteers when needed.
• Provides excellent customer service and strives to maintain a positive environment in the Welcome Center.
• Demonstrates effective suggestive selling techniques for staff and volunteers to use to increase sales.
• Assists Guest Services Supervisor in training of volunteers and interns.
• Answers phone calls, books kayak and Good Fortune II reservations.
• Collects daily admission and retail sales.
• Enhances working relationships between the Welcome Center and other areas of the organization.
• Supports the Conservancy commitment to environmental conservation and its mission and goals.
• AA in business, marketing, sales and or/ at least 2 years in customer service/ retail preferred.
• Experience working with and supervising volunteers desirable.
• Working knowledge of computer software, including POS software, Windows, MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Friendly, energetic, and outgoing personality, with the proven ability to provide exceptional customer service and the ability to train these skills to department team members.
• Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
• Ability to work outside usual hours during season or special programs in the evenings, weekends or holidays.
• Accuracy and attention to detail essential.
• Ability to occasionally travel to attend other Conservancy-related activities off-site.
• Commitment to environmental conservation and the Conservancy’s mission and goals.
The above statements describe the general qualifications required to perform the job and the general nature and level of work performed-not a complete list of duties-additional duties may be assigned by management.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic math.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to work outside normal schedule as required for seasonal hours, weekends or holidays.
• Ability to assist launching kayaks that weight up to 50 lbs.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Valid driver license and good driving record.
PHYSICAL, DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move 10-25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision; ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is sometimes exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The employee can be exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.