Job Title: Accounting Assistant
Reports To: Accounting Coordinator
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Conservancy of SW Florida is searching for an Accounting Assistant to join our Finance team. This is an entry level position. The ideal candidate will have 1+years of hands on working knowledge in Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable,General Leger, Reconciliations, as well as other accounting functionality. The experience and the ability to work within different software systems is a plus. Applicants must have an educational background in related field,and Bachelor’s Degree preferred. Must have a strong MS Suite proficiency and MS Excel skills. This position is a great career developing opportunity in a fund accounting environment and future role expansion is available based on performance.
PURPOSE OF JOB: Provides bookkeeping, accounts payable, and payroll functions and acts as assistant to the Accounting Coordinator. The accounting assistant will keep financial records, prepare reports, and update financial information, process business transactions, expense reports, receipts, and provide other financial assistance as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Maintains and monitors the complete processing of a computerized, Accounts Payable system from beginning (receipt of invoices and appropriate documentation) to end (processing of check). Ensures Accounts Payable system figures agree with General Ledger Accounts Payable and balances on a monthly basis with open invoice file.
• Maintains schedule of Accounts Receivable for General Ledger.
• Deposits all incoming funds in bank account, including writing deposit slips and running checks through check machine to bank.
• Enters all deposits in Cash Receipts module that are not for Raiser’s Edge (RE).
• Processes credit card charges for memberships and programs.
• On a daily basis, balances gift shop, admission desk, and kayak rental receipts with end-of-day recap including cash, checks, and credit cards.
• Processes payroll including review of submitted timesheets and time-off requests; prepares all reports in relation to payroll as required.
• Manage and replenishment of all corporate/department Petty Cash Accounts.
• Balances Conservancy Associate room-deposit account and rentals’ deposit account.
• Provides cash statement to CFO on a daily basis.
• Maintains business accounts/credit card purchases, and reconciles monthly statements with receipts.
• Manages 1099 vendor information and prepares year end 1099 forms.
• Assists the Accounting Coordinator with monthly processes
• Assists in audit with preparation of required schedules.
• Sorts and distributes incoming mail; opens and processes checks received.
• Oversees Bulk Mail Account and postage meter funds; acts as troubleshooter to resolve postage meter and credit card machine issues.
• Educational background in related field, Bachelor’s Degree preferred and two years related experience, preferably in a fund accounting environment.
• Experience and knowledge of accounting and budget process.
• Working knowledge of Blackbaud software or similar financial and/or fund-raising, SQL-based software.
• Experience with grants a plus.
• High level of proficiency in Windows, MS Word, Excel, and Outlook, with Access beneficial.
• Organized and task-oriented; individual initiative and problem-solving skills a must; willingness and strong desire to fully understand all components of Financial Edge system critical.
• Ability to work independently and as a team member.
• Excellent problem-solving, analytical skills and interpersonal skills, with initiative, patience, perseverance, and follow through.
The above statements describe the general qualifications required to perform the job and the general nature and level of work performed - not a complete list of duties - additional responsibilities may be assigned by management.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
• Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work independently and as a team member.
• Accuracy and attention to detail essential.
• Strong oral and written communication skills and proficient in proofreading.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Driver’s license and safe driving record required.
PHYSICAL, DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision; ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.]
Job Posted: 07/11/2019