Wildlife Rehabilitation Specialist
Job Title: Wildlife Rehabilitation Specialist
Department: vonArx Wildlife Hospital
Reports To: Director of vAWH
FLSA Status: Exempt
PURPOSE OF JOB: Assists the Director of vonArx Wildlife Hospital in day-to-day efforts of wildlife rehabilitation. Performs initial diagnosis of wildlife patients, setting up and following treatment plans with the purpose of successfully releasing patients back into the wild.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Conducts basic wildlife rehabilitation.
• Assists in supervision and training of Conservancy Associates and volunteers.
• Assist with special projects and new programs, as directed by supervisor.
• Provides on-call emergency service, as scheduled.
• Assist in admitting and evaluating patients, planning treatment of patients, working on diagnosis with veterinarians as necessary, and carrying out treatment plans.
• Assist in feeding or arranging for the feeding of Center wildlife 365 days/year.
• Assists with maintaining and enhancing physical hospital plant.
• Assists in dealing with and effectively handling telephone inquiries, people who rescue wildlife, sensitive issues, distraught people, hostile people, etc.
• Assists in dealing with euthanasia of wildlife, assist in decision making, and provide training regarding euthanasia protocol to staff and CAs
• Assists in basic administrative functions of the vAWH
• Assists with special projects and new programs, as directed by supervisor.
• Occasionally develops and conducts Wildlife Rehabilitation Hospital educational programs.
• Bachelor's degree in wildlife ecology, biology, or related field
• Knowledge and skills in wildlife rehabilitation practices including, but not limited to, basic animal care and nutrition.
• Minimum 1 year of related experience or internship.
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, biology and ecology.
• Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with individuals of diverse interest and backgrounds.
• Strong organizational and communication skills.
• Experience developing and conducting educational programs and tours.
• Computer skills, including working knowledge of word processing, database, and spreadsheet programs.
• Strong commitment to the conservation of biodiversity, environmental quality, and natural resources.
The above statements describe the general qualifications required to perform the job and the general nature and level of work performed - not a complete list of duties - additional responsibilities may be assigned by management.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• Fifth year college or university program certificate; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
• Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Experienced with Microsoft Office.
• Experienced with computer databases.
• Employee must be have excellent communication skills, and must be able to manage multiple priorities on a constant basis.
• Ability to work outside normal schedule as required for hospital hours, including evenings, weekends or holidays.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Current Florida Driver’s License with good driving record.
PHYSICAL, DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
•Physical Demands:While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must frequently lift/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
•Work Environment: While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock; risk of radiation and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.