Director of Facilities (Entry Level)
Job Title: Director of Facilities (Entry Level)
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
PURPOSE OF JOB: This is an entry level Director of Facilities position. Provides oversight, strategic planning, management and technical leadership of the Facilities Department. Oversees and plans the financial development and management of the Facilities Departments annual budget. Responsible for planning, implementation, coordination and supervision of all mechanical operations, maintenance system software, maintenance activities, energy management, campus security and Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) program. Responsible for project management and strategic planning of campus facilities and needs, and directs the Facilities Manager in oversight of maintenance management, repair and upkeep of campus grounds, buildings, leased properties, equipment, vehicles, and water vessels. Duties also include construction/engineering project management of Capital Projects. Responsible for oversight and contract management of construction activities, ensuring contractor compliance to plans, drawings and specifications. Ensures adherence to safe work practices in accordance with OSHA and manages facility improvements in compliance with the ADA.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Responsible for the Facilities Departments operational plan for maintenance of Conservancy assets, aligning to the Conservancy’s strategic plan, capital construction projects, and includes grounds, buildings, equipment, vehicles and boats.
• Directs and manages and supervises the Facilities Manager and their team of Maintenance Technicians. Recruit, train, mentor, and evaluate Facilities Staff.
• Directs and manages all aspects of campus security, safety and risk management, Responsible for campus safety and hurricane emergency readiness. On-call as required for emergency response to campus issues (fire, injury, equipment failure)
• Develops the facilities annual budget and operational plan, and strategically plans future campus maintenance needs and reports to the Chief Financial Officer the budget needs.
• Manage and/or procure Facilities service contracts and supplier accounts.
• Oversees, directs and is the technical expert for all building systems including fire/life safety, HVAC, electrical, energy management. Stays current with latest Building Systems technology trends.
• Provide project management and oversight of capital projects. Coordinate engineering services, contractor selection, and construction/installation oversight. Ensure excellent workmanship, and compliance to plans, specifications and drawings.
• Maintains library/archive files of site as-built drawings, construction-related records, relevant equipment documentation and develops effective building-specific maintenance and safety procedure manuals.
• Ensures compliance with applicable codes, permits, government agency and company directives as relates to building operations and safety.
The above statements described the general qualifications required to perform the job and the general nature and level of work to be performed. It is not a complete list of duties, and additional duties may be assigned by management.
• Five plus years of related experience leading a Facilities Department as a Manager, or Director, in a similar setting.
• Specialty training and experience in trades (Life Safety Systems, HVAC, Mechanical, Plumbing, Carpentry)
• Experience supervising and managing skilled trades and custodial personnel.
• Experience securing/evaluating proposals, negotiating contracts, and managing vendor relationships.
• Demonstrated experience with Building Management Systems and Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS)
• Knowledge of environmentally safe practices and materials required (janitorial, integrated pest management, landscaping). Understanding of LEED EBOM desired.
• Excellent verbal, written and business communication skills. Ability to develop, analyze, and interpret complex business documents. Ability to solve advanced problems and deal with a variety of options in complex situations. Requires high level analytical and quantitative skills. Decisions made with in-depth understanding and interpretation of procedures, company policies and business practices to achieve complex results.
• Strong organizational and leadership abilities. Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with individuals of diverse interests and backgrounds in a positive manner.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's degree (B. S.) or 5 plus years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Having the skills and abilities to present Department updates and communicate effectively to all Staff; sometimes to the Management Team will be necessary.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Valid driver license and good driving record.
PHYSICAL, DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships) and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is sometimes exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The job requires working near moving mechanical parts and there is a risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.