INTERNSHIP - Burmese Python Research
Description: Assist the Collaborative Burmese Python Research Project Team through intensive radio-telemetry tracking of invasive snakes throughout Southwest Florida. Responsible for additional duties, as assigned, such as data entry, sample processing and equipment maintenance.
Qualifications: Recent college graduates, who aspire to gain valuable skills and knowledge in specific areas such as Environmental Science and Research. Applicants must complete the application process, including the application, cover letter, resume, college transcripts and two letters of recommendation.
Education and/or experience
- BS or BA in one of the biological or environmental sciences.
- Background in field survey techniques or willingness to learn.
- Willingness to work in extreme outdoors conditions. Ability to help drag or carry large snakes through the woods.
- Willingness to work in the laboratory setting assisting with necropsies. Working knowledge of MS Excel preferred.
- Willingness to work outside of the usual 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM business hours when necessary.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an internship participant to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this Job, the internship participant is occasionally required to reach with hands, arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. The internship participant is regularly required to stand, walk, sit and use hands to finger, handle or feel. The internship participant is frequently required to talk or hear. The internship participant must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds. Special vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, and depth perception.
Work Environment: The internship participant is regularly exposed to wet and humid conditions and outdoor weather conditions.
$300 bi-weekly cost of living stipend and dorm accommodation, including laundry, provided.